SCUBA Travel are pleased to release their annual list of the diving best-selling books and DVDs.
Most of the books are either diving area guides – to specific locations or dives around the world – or sea life guides. One breaks the trend though: Simon Pridmore’s Scuba Confidential. This tells readers how to be a better diver.
One DVD makes the list, showing the best diving locations in world.
Here are the top ten: figures in brackets show the previous year’s position.If positions change (and some are very close) this page will update with the new best-sellers.
As you can see, many books continue to be in the top ten year after year. Coral Reef Fishes: Indo-Pacific and Caribbean has not been out of the top ten since we started publishing the list in 2002! But then, it’s a great little book.
1. Fifty Places to Dive Before You Die: Diving Experts Share the World’s Greatest Destinations by Chris Santella
The fifth in Santella’s bestselling “Fifty Places” series. (2)
2. Coral Reef Guide Red Sea by Ewald Lieske, Robert Myers
Excellent guide to the fish and invertebrates of the Red Sea. (5)
3. Dive Atlas of the World: An Illustrated Reference to the Best Sites by Jack Jackson
300 pages detailing some of the world’s best dive sites. (1)
4. Coral Reef Fishes: Indo-Pacific and Caribbean by Ewald Lieske, Robert Myers
Another from Lieske and Myers, this goes on all my tropical diving holidays. (7)
5. Dive Red Sea: The Ultimate Guide
Mainly covers Egypt but also mentions Aqaba, Eilat, Eritrea, Djibouti and Yemen. (6)
6. The World’s Best Dive Destinations DVD
Visual SCUBA dive guide to the world’s best diving locations (9)
7. Hurghada: Diving Guide and Integrated Logbook
A great little guide and money well spent if you are going to Hurghada (Egypt) as nearly all the dives you will do are covered. (-)
8. Scuba Confidential: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Better Diver
by Simon Pridmore
Candid, no-nonsense practical advice from a professional who has been involved over the last three decades with virtually every aspect of the sport. (-)
9. Dive Sites and Marine Life of the Calf of Man and Neighbouring Area
by Bill Sanderson, Bruce McGregor, Andrew Brierley
The Isle of Man boasts some excellent diving and this book describes some of the best dive sites in the south of the island. It is written by three marine biologists, based on their extensive personal experience of diving the area. (-)
10. Diving the World
by Beth and Shaun Tierney
Husband-and-wife team Beth and Shaun Tierney are another pair who have two entries in the list. They have selected, reviewed and photographed over 200 tropical sites for Diving the World, and released a fully updated and expanded third edition. (8)